Prostate Cancer Telenurse - Clinical Nurse Specialist
Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia
St Leonards, Sydney NSW
5 months ago
ABOUT USWe’re Australia’s leading community-based organisation for prostate cancer research, awareness, and support. Our vision is a future where no man dies of prostate cancer, and Australian men and their families get the support they need. Our focus is to:
- Be Australia’s leading charity fund for Australian-based prostate cancer research.
- Protect the health of existing and future generations of men in Australia.
- Improve quality of life for Australian men with prostate cancer and their families.
ROLE PURPOSE The Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia’s (PCFA) Telenursing service is Australia’s first dedicated Prostate Cancer Telenursing service, giving thousands of people affected by prostate cancer access to specialist nursing support, care and advice wherever they live in Australia. The Prostate Cancer Telenurse has a key role in delivering PCFA’s vision and mission. The PCFA Telenurse will work with the Head of Telenursing and Supportive Care Programs to deliver accurate, evidenced based information and practical and emotional support via telephone and electronic communications to Australian’s affected by prostate cancer. The role(s) will be based in either PCFA’s Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne offices, other locations will be considered. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provision of comprehensive evidence-based information and education to consumers, by telephone and electronic communications, including distress screening and education relating to diagnosis, disease and treatment related care, side effect management, after care and supportive care.
- Refer people affected by prostate cancer to internal and external support programs and services
- Act as a resource for other health professionals and members of community organisations by providing education and resources as directed
- Contribute to the development and delivery of educational programs and staff development activities, some out of hours work and travel may be required
- Provide advice and professional support to nursing colleagues and PCFA staff
- Contribute to and maintain resources, protocols and procedures for the Prostate Cancer Telenursing service
- Attend ongoing training and educational events to develop and maintain knowledge through relevant professional development activities
- Actively participate in call sharing and debriefing activities
- Contribute to quality improvement activities and research programs aimed at improving outcomes for people affected by prostate cancer 1
- Contribute to the development of standards and guidelines for the Telenursing Service and actively measure outcomes against established KPIs
- Practice in accordance with legislative, professional and ethical standards for nursing and cancer care
- Demonstrate the skills of critical reflection and lifelong learning to generate knowledge for practice
- Support the Head of Telenursing and Supportive Care Programs in relation to Nursing Program activities as directed
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Registered Nurse (Division 1-General) registered currently with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- A minimum of 5 years post-graduation
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working with patients with prostate cancer.
- Possess or be working towards relevant post-graduate nursing qualifications in relevant field.
- Possess advanced skills in urology or oncology nursing and supportive care.
- Demonstrate excellent understanding of urology, oncology and allied health disciplines.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the health needs and preferences of men with prostate cancer across the continuum of care which includes diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, surveillance and palliative and end-of-life care.
- Previous telephone support or telehealth experience is desirable.
- Demonstrated education and counselling skills in the health care setting.
- Strong empathy and compassion towards people dealing with prostate cancer.
- High level written and verbal communication and active listening skills.
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Computer literate, with skills in internet and email use.
- Enable continuous quality improvement by actively participating in reporting processes and data analysis
- Broaden the reach of the PCFA Telenursing Service by participating in prostate cancer awareness activities and projects
- dentify and participate in opportunities for further research that focuses on improving the experiences of those affected by prostate cancer
How you’ll benefit
- An excellent opportunity to be a key player in PCFA’s growth and expansion and change the face of men’s health
- Work with a highly professional and committed team of people, in a dynamic and diverse workplace.
- Take home a competitive salary and salary packaging
Visit https://www.seek.com.au/job/67693308 for more information.